The Curlew was a single-screw iron steamship built in 1853 at the Denny’s Shipyard, Dumbarton. She was barquentine rigged with three masts and a poop deck. The ship served the Halifax – Bermuda – St Thomas itinerary which was inaugurated by the Curlew in July 1854. The Bermuda service ran successfully for two years until the Curlew left Halifax on 14 March 1856 for her final fateful voyage under the command of Captain Hunter.
|Dimensions||55.5 x 6.7 m (182 x 22 ft)|
The Curlew lies in shallow water on the north edge of the reef, 1 mile east of North Rock. Not much remains of the wreck today apart from a few small sections of the hull and deck plating which is fused the coral. There is an abundance of colourful marine life.
|Position||N 32 28.979' W 064 45.144'|